Translate

Justice Citizens - A Youth Participatory Action Research Project From Sydney, Australia

Your Name and Title: Mr Keith Heggart

School, Library, or Organization Name: University of Technology, Sydney, Australia.

Co-Presenter Name(s): Not applicable.

Country from Which You Will Present: Australia

Language in Which You Will Present: English

Target Audience (such as primary school teachers, high school administrators, students, etc.): High school teachers and administrators.

Short Session Description (one line): A presentation documenting the findings of 'Justice Citizens' a Youth Participatory Action Research Project focused on Citizenship and Social Justice.

Full Session Description (as long as you would like): The Justice Citizens Project was a project run in a medium sized high school in Sydney's Western Suburbs. It draws from a critical pedagogical framework, as well as community cultural development ideas, and took the form of a FilmVoice project that took place over 6 months and involved more than 100 Grade 9 students. These students were challenged to investigate a local or global community issue and then create a film based on social justice relating to this issue. The topics included refugees, racism, teen pregnancy, dirt bike safety, bullying and pollution in the Nepean River. These films were then shown at the first annual film festival, where students, participants and community members came together to discuss social action in the face of these issues.

This presentation will share some of the films as well as the findings from the interviews conducted during the project. There will be an opportunity to make connections for similar projects in the future, as well as ask questions about Justice Citizens.

Websites / URLs Associated with Your Session:

http://www.facebook.com/JusticeCitizens

http://justicecitizens.ning.com/ (Will need to request permission to join).

Tags: 2012Curricular

Views: 99

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've always felt that giving students the power of investigation, produces excellent results and after all they are our future. 

Absolutely, Julia! I couldn't agree more. I've been particularly inspired by the idea of 'student-as-teacher' and 'teacher-as-student' as mentioned by Paulo Freire. Certainly, in this project, once teachers stopped seeing students as 'blank slates' then the learning environment was significantly different. It's an important idea for all teachers, I think.

Keith - great to see your presentation here & hope I can check it out. Do you have a time slot yet? I'm just reserving mine. 

Hi Kim,

Thanks - and thank you for your tip about submitting a proposal. I'm pretty excited! I'll reserve a time slot and let you know.

Keith.

Hi Keith from a fellow Australian, great to see a good number of presentations by Australians.

RSS

© 2014   Created by Lucy Gray.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service